Because cheese tried to “kill” me, Im now dairy free (well, 99.9%). While on the hunt for practical vegan recipes that don’t taste like poo, I landed on Karissa’s page; Karissa’s Vegan Kitchen…it loaded with some yummy vegan recipes and like myself she is not 100% vegan but def is mostly plant based and I really love that about her. So if you are looking for healthier recipes, def head over to her page and try them!
- 10-12 oz bag of tortilla chips
- 1½ cup shredded vegan cheddar
- 1 can black beans – drained and rinsed
- 1 can corn – drained and rinsed
- 1 pack taco seasoning
- 2 tsp oil
- 2 tomatoes – chopped
- 1/2 red onion – chopped
- 1-2 jalapenos – sliced
- parsley or cilantro
- vegan sour cream *see recipe
- vegan nacho cheese sauce *see recipe
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spread the tortillas out on a large baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- In a bowl, mix together the black beans, corn, taco seasoning and oil.
- Spread the black beans and corn out over the chips and cheese.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Add on the toppings of your choice!
- Enjoy warm!
Vegan Nacho Cheese
- 1¼ cup potatoes – peeled and cubed
- 2/3 cup carrots – peeled and cubed
- 1¼ cup plant based milk – plain, unsweetened
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 teaspoons cornstarch – or arrowroot powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt – or more to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper – optional, for extra spice
- Add potatoes and carrots to a pot of water. Bring to a boil, and let boil for 10 minutes, or until potatoes and carrots are soft. Strain and add to a blender.
- Add all remaining ingredients to the blender and blend until super creamy and smooth.
- Pour the nacho cheese into a pot and heat on medium-low heat until it starts to bubble. This will activate the cornstarch and help thicken the nacho cheese.
- Serve warm with your favorite chips!
Homemade Vegan Sour Cream
- 1 cup raw unsalted cashews, soaked and drained*
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- pinch of salt
- To soak the cashews, you can either soak in water for at least 4 hours in the fridge OR boil some water and pour over cashews and soak for 45 minutes (covered.)
- Drain the cashews. Blend all ingredients together until smooth.
Recipes on this post can be found at https://www.karissasvegankitchen.com