Gluten Free Buns
Gluten Free Buns
- 3 1⁄2 C gluten free flour
- 2 2⁄3 tsp Instant Yeast
- 2 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 C warm water
- 6 TBSP Unsalted Butter room temp
- 1 large egg room temp
- 1 egg wash room temp, beaten w/1 Tbsp warm water
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with unbleached parchment paper and set it aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer (or a large bowl with a handheld mixer with dough hooks).
- Mix the; bread flour, yeast and sugar mix. Add the salt and whisk to combine well. Add the water, butter and egg, and mix on low speed with the dough hook(s) until combined. Raise the mixer speed to medium and knead for about 5 minutes.
- The dough should be a smooth, enriched dough, but it is very thick. Spray a silicone spatula lightly with cooking oil spray, and scrape down the sides of the bowl, knead once more. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator to chill for 10 minutes to make the dough much easier to handle.
- Shape it!
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator, and transfer it to a surface lightly sprinkled with bread flour, very light. Sprinkle the dough very lightly with more flour and turn it over on itself a few times until the dough is smoother. Using a sharp knife, divide the dough into 6-12 equal pieces depending on how big you want the rolls. for bun size make 6, for dinner roll size make 12. Shape the pieces into rounds of dough and place them on the prepared baking sheet about 2 inches apart from one another. Press it into a disk about 1/2-inch thick. Brush the rolls generously with the egg wash, then slash the tops about 1/8-inch deep with a sharp knife.
- Place the baking sheet in the center of the preheated oven and bake until the rolls are lightly golden brown all over and the internal temperature of the buns reaches about 185°F (about 20 minutes). If desired, brush a second egg wash coating on top and broil for about 1-2 minutes for a crispy crust top. Remove from the oven and allow to cool briefly before serving.
These go great with a simple homemade veggie soup.
My go to is to sautee any veggies I have on hand, add bone broth or stock and black beans or chicken.